Let’s break down the term “A2P 10DLC”, A2P stands for (Application-to-Person) and 10DLC stands for 10-Digit Long-Code. A2P 10DLC means sending messages from applications like Twilio to the customer using the standard 10-digit phone numbers. If your business is doing the same then you need to register for A2P 10DLC campaigns and get verified by The Campaign Registry (TCR).
The aim of this registration is to diminish the robocalls, spam texts, and opt-out options for customers. Some of the benefits that you’ll see immediately are high deliverability and throughput.
Do I need to register for A2P 10DLC?
If you use 10-digit long code phone numbers to send messages to the United States and/or Canada then you are obliged to A2P 10DLC registration.
There are 3 ways to register based on usage and Tax ID.
- If you send less than 6,000 messages per day and have a Tax ID (EIN) then register for Low Volume Standard Brands.
- If you send more than 6,000 messages per day and have a Tax ID (EIN) then register for other campaigns Standard Brands.
- Those who don’t have a Tax ID (EIN), should register a Sole Proprietor Brand.
However, you don’t need to register for A2P 10DLC for the following usage.
- If you are not sending messages (SMS or MMS) to the United States and Canada.
- If you are using toll-free numbers, you don’t need to register.
- If you are using short codes then you don’t need to register.
What happens if I don’t register?
Those who don’t register for A2P 10DLC by August 31, 2023, will not be able to send and receive SMS and MMS via their Twilio phone number(s). In short, the SMS and MMS service will be halted entirely.
Overview of A2P 10DLC Registration
Create a Brand
Here, a brand refers to a person or a company who is sending messages to the customer. You need to clarify yourself to the carrier.
Create a Campaign
The options you have while registering a campaign in A2P 10DLC depend on the type of campaign you are running. Here are some of the most common options:
- Campaign name: This is the name of your campaign. It will be displayed in the Twilio Console and in the messages that you send.
- Campaign description: This is a brief description of your campaign. It will be displayed in the Twilio Console and in the messages that you send.
- Campaign use case: This is the purpose of your campaign. It can be one of the following:
- Transactional: This type of campaign is used to send messages that are related to a transaction, such as a shipping confirmation or a payment reminder.
- Marketing: This type of campaign is used to send messages that are promotional in nature, such as a newsletter or an offer for a discount.
- Non-profit: This type of campaign is used to send messages to a non-profit organization.
- Opt-in and opt-out language: This is the language that you will use to ask people to opt in or out of your campaign. It is important to use clear and concise language that people can understand.
- Messaging frequency: This is the number of messages that you can send to each recipient per day. The maximum number of messages allowed depends on the campaign use case.
- Delivery time: This is the time of day when you want your messages to be delivered. You can choose to deliver your messages at a specific time or to spread them out throughout the day.
- Geographic targeting: This is the option to target your messages to specific geographic areas. This can be useful if you are running a local campaign or if you want to avoid sending messages to certain areas.
Choose the appropriate customer type
There are two customer types in the A2P 10DLC registration process:
- Direct customers: These are businesses that are directly registered with Twilio. They will need to create a Twilio Business Profile and register a US A2P brand and campaign.
- (Independent Software Vendor) ISV customers: These are businesses that use an ISV (Independent Software Vendor) to send SMS and MMS messages. The ISV will be responsible for registering the customer with Twilio and creating a US A2P brand and campaign on their behalf.
- Sole Proprietor: These are individuals or small businesses that do not have a tax ID (such as a US EIN). They must be located in the United States or Canada and don’t possess tax ID. You are sending fewer than 3,000 SMS message segments and MMS a day to the United States.
The customer type that you are will depend on how you are sending SMS and MMS messages. If you are sending messages directly through Twilio, then you are a direct customer. If you are using an ISV to send messages, then you are an ISV customer.
Registration Fee of A2P 10DLC
These are the fees involved during the A2P 10DLC registration process.
- A2P Sole Proprietor Brand: $4 one-time registration
- A2P Low Volume Standard Brand: $4 one-time registration
- A2P Standard Brand: $44 one-time registration
- A2P Campaign use case: $15 one-time registration fee
After there there will be monthly recurring charges based on the campaign type you’ve chosen and your carrier. You can check the in-depth price by visiting this link https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260803965530-What-pricing-and-fees-are-associated-with-the-A2P-10DLC-service-
You can check the detailed procedure of A2P 10DLC at Twilio: https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/a2p-10dlc/onboarding. If you need an expert by your side to help you with the A2P 10 DLC registration process then contact us via [email protected].